Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Myth of the Liberal Media

 
The Myth of the Liberal Media: The Propaganda Model of News from Spread Knowledge on Vimeo.

I visited with my conservative aunt today, and she fed me the bogus, "the media are so liberal" line. As a scholar of media studies, it baffles me how any thinking person can actually believe the mainstream media display anything resembling a liberal bias. (To wit: Would a truly liberal media have so easily swallowed the lies that launched the Iraq war?)

This video from Media Education Foundation featuring Edward Herman and Noam Chomsky sets the record straight. I would also recommend the book by the same authors, Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media, which most of this video derives from. Also worth reading is Robert McChesney's Rich Media, Poor Democracy (2000).

No comments:

Post a Comment